- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling on toast
- 2 large cloves garlic, 1 thinly sliced and 1 halved
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced (optional)
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes, more to taste and for serving
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large sprig fresh basil or rosemary, or a pinch of dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, more for serving
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, more to taste
- 6 eggs
- Sliced crusty bread, for serving
- Small handful chopped basil or parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic, anchovies and red-pepper flakes and cook just until the garlic turns golden brown at the edges, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil sprig, and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, squashing tomato pieces with a wooden spoon or a potato masher, until the tomatoes break down and thicken into a sauce, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, butter, salt and red-pepper flakes to taste.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 6 divots into the tomato sauce, then crack an egg into each divot. Cover the pan and let cook until the eggs are set to taste, about 2 to 3 minutes for runny yolks. (If the pan is not covered, the eggs won't cook through, so don't skip that step.)
- While the eggs are cooking, toast bread in a toaster or under the broiler. Rub warm toast with the cut garlic clove, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, sprinkle eggs with more Parmesan and chopped herbs, then spoon onto plates or into shallow bowls. Serve with garlic toast and pass pepper flakes at the table.
For the Chicken
To Make Chicken
Chop 2-3 medium chicken breasts into small bite-size pieces. In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, chili, cumin, onion powder, and salt. Add in chicken and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes or up to 48 hours.
To cook: Heat a large heavy-duty or cast iron skillet on high heat for 1 minute. Add the olive oil and chicken. Cook chicken in a skillet over medium-high heat until charred and cooked through, 8-12 minutes. Turn off heat and finish with a squeeze of lime (optional).
To Make the Cilantro Lime Sauce
Add the sour cream, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and salt & pepper to blender or food processor. Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minutes or until creamy.
Char tortillas on stove-top if desired. Add some of the chicken to the warmed tortillas. Top with avocado and cilantro sauce.
SKILLET CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS AND RICE
Cuisine: ONE-POT MEAL
Prep time: 15 minsCook time: 45 minsTotal time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 SERVINGS
2 tbsp. olive oil
6 bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped (I like baby Portobello but any kind will work)
⅓ cup white wine
2 cups chicken broth
¾ cup brown rice
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahreheit. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat on the stove. Place the chicken thighs, skin side down, in the heated skillet and cook until skin is crispy and golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
Remove all but 2 tbsp. of the oil and released chicken fat from the skillet. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until tender.
Add white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up all the brown bits.
Add chicken broth, rice, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken thigh on top of the rice. Slice half the lemon and place around the chicken.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until the chicken internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Squeeze lemon juice from the remaining half of the lemon all over the chicken and rice.
Serve immediately, enjoy!