Mushroom and Sausage Ragu
Simple yet savory this comforting and quick to make ragu uses mushrooms and sausage cooked together with creamy polenta and is a wonderful dinner for any night of the week on any occasion.
1 c. dried morel mushrooms
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 sweet Italian sausages
1/2 lb. shiitake caps
Freshly ground pepper
6 water chestnuts
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil and soak the mushrooms until they soften then strain ( reserve the liquid in a bowl),
- In a medium Fry Pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- Slice the sausages to 1/4 inch thickness and place in the pan, cover with the lid and cook until there is no pink. remove and set aside
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet. Add the shiitake,shallots and morels. cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and pour in the reserved mushroom soaking liquid. then add the sausages back in Add the sausages and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Season with salt and pepper. Off the heat, swirl in the butter, and sprinkle with parsley. Serve over prepared polenta.